Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The good doctor, on evolution...

The American media is exploring new depths in journalistic dishonesty. What Ron Paul is reported to have said on evolution is outside the brackets; what he actually said is included within the brackets:

"'Well, at first I thought it was a very inappropriate question, you know, for the presidency to be decided on a scientific matter, and I think it's a theory, a theory of evolution, and I don't accept it, you know, as a theory, but I think [it probably doesn't bother me. It's not the most important issue for me to make the difference in my life to understand the exact origin. I think] the Creator that I know created us, everyone of us, and created the universe, and the precise time and manner, I just don't think we're at the point where anybody has absolute proof on either side. [So I just don't...if that were the only issue, quite frankly, I would think it's an interesting discussion, I think it's a theological discussion, and I think it's fine, and we can have our...if that were the issue of the day, I wouldn't be running for public office.']
Ron Paul is a Christian, he makes no excuses for that. Two of Paul's brothers became Lutheran ministers, and he briefly considered a spiritual calling for himself. Unlike many pandering politicians, he probably sincerely believes in the value of the words of Jesus of Nazareth. Ultimately however, Ron Paul chose to follow a different path.

After obtaining a baccalaureate in biology and doctorate in medicine, Dr. Paul chose to spend his time on bringing life into the world. He thus understands clearly the arguments for and against evolutionary theory. Paul is most certainly also well enough read to know that some of the finest minds in contemporary science have doubts about the theory of evolution's ability to fully explain the origin of higher mammalian life.

It is different thing to not believe that the evolutionary process occurs (as in the world is six thousand years old and that we are all now exactly as we were in the beginning) and to not believe in the theory of evolution as the sole explanation for origin of intelligence. Likewise, believing in Biblical creationism (as in seven days, a ball of clay, and a spare rib) and believing in the possibility of intelligent design is also not the same thing.

Science only ever offers theories. It is theology that purports to have answers. Paul is the scientist. The "theologian" is the other guy, the one from Arkansas who lied about having a theology degree.


No comments: